Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Road Trip


God I hate getting ready to go on vacation... I mean, really dislike having to get all of the ducks in a row, so to speak... I had a good 4th of July weekend. Spent it with family and friends. Went and saw The Temptations, man did that bring back some memories... Also saw a band called Little Feat. I can remember having a CD by them so many years ago... it really amazes me how these bands keep touring... I mean seriously, If I had a Top 10 single and made a few million... the last thing I would be doing is going to little county fairs and playing... I'm sorry, but I would rather be sitting on an island in the Caribbean or hanging out in Costa Rica or somewhere, anywhere.... On Friday night, The Wailers played. Now, they're a fun band, the lead singer sounds just like Bob Marley. The fans, most of them in their 40's to 50's are getting high and thinking they are back in high school and the other fans are the kids that have discovered Reggae Music.. my point... they made 29K for that gig. They had to travel from wherever it is they ALL live, bring their road crew, hall all of they're instruments and amps, play 1 set and then go home. Now, that sounds pretty good! 29 THOUSAND DOLLARS for 3 hours work. But then you have to figure in the road crew, shipping, handling, taxes, the 15 members of the band... the drugs, alcohol... it ain't much!

Anyway, it was fun, we met up with a few old high school friends which made it fun. I introduced my girlfriend to them. She instantly wanted to know which ones I slept with... some things never change. Even when you're open with them from the very start, that possession, control thing always seems to slide in there... and here we are planning a 10 day Motorcycle trip and all she wants to know is "which ones did you sleep with".... Do any of you ever run into that same thing? If you pay your Significant Other (SO) too much attention, then something must be wrong, if you're feeling comfortable and laughing and enjoying others company, you must be up to something. What is the "proper" way to be around old friends and a newer girlfriend and not have to have these One on One talks later. "How would you like it if I started talking to my old friends" I love that question.... "I would love it! GO TALK TO THEM"!

All and all, it was a good weekend and now, I'm getting ready to spend 10 days with the woman that I've been with for almost 2 years... 10 days and 10 nights... together.. just the two of us, no kids, no dogs, no family, no other friends, and I'm not talking about just sitting by the pool either! No, I'm talking about being on a Motorcycle, heading up to Oregon, Then Washington and then back down the coast to good old California. We're going to cover 2100 miles in that short period of time. Not listening to music, not chatting.. although we will be able to talk back and forth. Talk about a Make or Break thing, I can't think of a worst scenario, being on a motorcycle and not getting along.. It's almost like going alone except you have a companion there with you. Smelling the different smells, seeing things you probably would miss if you were sitting in a car, or for that matter, sleeping while you made those twisty, windy turns up High Way 5...(smiles)

I'm going to make this the best trip I've ever been on.. and if anyone that is riding with me wants to make it any other way... there are MANY airports along the way where that other person can hitch a ride back home.. ! lol..
It's kind of sad really. I've enjoyed this relationship. I've been the most open I've ever been with a woman and yet, it always seems to come down to the bottom line... I think the best song to describe it is "Living by the Dashboard Lights" by Meatloaf.. I think that's the name of the song, I never was very good at remembering song names but I never forget a band...

So, to get back to where I started with my little blog post, I'm getting ready for a road trip. There are so many things I still need to do and yet, no matter how hard I try, ALL of them won't get done... I'll do what I can, and I'm sure, the rest will be there for me when I return.. along with a few more surprises I haven't even thought of yet!


10 days, 2 people, 2 saddle bags, 2 small carry ons. 1 Community big bag strapped to the sissy bar, a tent, blow up mattress, electric pump, 2 sleeping bags that CAN be zipped together, but also can NOT be zipped together. Money, plastic and all the leathers... I think that's about it! Now I just have to figure out how to get it all on the BIKE! Ah, but don't worry yourselves... the tent and the sleeping bags are only for the nights we won't be sleeping at friends houses along the way, or the nights when we stay in hotels... they are the "Just in case" sleeping bags that you pull out when you're just too tired to go on... I hope we don't run into too many of those!

I hope all of you have a wonderful July and when you see that overloaded motorcycle with the handsome guy on front and the long haired blonde on the back... be sure to give them plenty of room and be nice because they just might be me trying to get to my next gas station fill up to stretch my legs !

No comments: