Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Finding an old flame

Last night I was looking around on Facebook, something I do when I'm bored with nothing to do. You see, I help take care of my Mother who has Dementia/Alzheimer's and is like caring for a 1 yr. old baby.

When I sold my house in the foothills to come back here, I moved in with my girlfriend. Things were going pretty well except for a drinking problem that my GF has. One night we got into an argument and I left, went to mom's house to stay for a couple of days when I realized that she needed 24 hour care. I stayed on to help her out. I know she would have done the same for me if I had been hurt or something.


Anyway, as I started out, I was looking around FB and out of the blue, I thought of my first love. I hadn't seen her in over 20 years but I had nothing to do. It took me about 20 minutes to find someone that I thought might be her so I sent an email to her.

This morning, I received an email back and it WAS HER! talk about a small world. She actually lives about 12 miles from me. At first, I thought, god, I'd love to see her, but she has a family, I have a family and to see her would only be a selfish thing. I'd love to see how her life turned out. She said she has children... I bet they're beautiful, just as she was and probably still is.


Isn't it funny how we always think about the past! What if, What if. I was a party animal, her a hippy chick. I drove fast cars, she didn't. She was in drama, I liked to cause drama. She lived in a big city, I lived in a small community. We were so different, yet, every summer, our families would vacation at the same resort so every summer for 6 years, we were boyfriend and girlfriend..... I learned a lot with that girl!


The last I heard she was working in Manhattan when the World Trade Centers were brought down. I had heard she was working for the Port Authority or something and I hoped that she wasn't caught up in the disaster. Now I know she wasn't and I'm thankful for that.


I wish her all the best, I don't know what will ever come of this but I'm glad to have written it down so that I have a record of when I Found my old Flame!


Have you ever wondered what your "old Flame" was up to?

Have you ever contacted an old love from the past?

Would love to hear other stories about such things!

No comments: