Monday, May 24, 2010

Still Shaking

So, there I was, under a house fixing something for the homeowner... I was doing something that was quiet and there wasn't any noise... when all of a sudden, I heard a woman SCREAM, a very short, startled scream... and a second later, two gun shots... now, I'm a rancher, I'm an outdoorsman.. I know a gunshot when I hear one or two! First, the hair on my neck bristled, then my heart raced and then I climbed out from under the house, at first I thought I would go upstairs and check on the woman of the house... but then I thought, "I don't know her or her situation" I didn't know if she was estranged from her husband, I didn't know if there were other people in the house.. I didn't want to walk in on something that I wasn't prepared for, I wasn't armed and that scream, those shots... SCARED ME.


I dialed 911 and talked to the operator while I waited for the police to arrive... I got myself next to a wall so no one could walk up behind me yet I could see if anyone left the house or raced down the hill... my heart was racing, my hands were shaking and to be honest, I don't think I've ever felt like that before...

The police arrived in force, as they arrived, the woman of the house came down the stairs and they met her with guns drawn, "SHOW US YOUR HANDS!! SHOW US YOUR HANDS!" I shouted, "SHOW THEM YOUR HANDS!!!!" she did. She was safe, it wasn't from inside the house... the police checked the houses on either side.. they were safe too. Then they started checking the neighborhood. The house is in a big canyon so sound travels... I couldn't tell where it came from because I was under the house when I heard it... but I DEFINITELY heard "IT"...

The police allowed me to finish my job, the woman went back into her house and the police continued to check the area... I made sure the woman was OK and then I left... I don't know what will come of all of this but A SCREAM and two Gunshots makes me wonder...

Scary...

1 comment:

said...

Eek! Yikes! That is scary. You kept your wits about you. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with all of that extra adrenaline flowing through my body.

I'm sure she appreciated that you were looking out for her!