Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankful for a lot

This Thanksgiving was very special for me. I was able to get 3 out of 4 of my children together for Thanksgiving dinner. To some, that may not sound like a big deal but for me, it is. My kids all live in different towns. No, they don't each of different mothers, but they are growing up and they have all moved for one reason or another and are moving on with their lives.


My oldest son lives close to me, we see each other at least once a week and we have a very close relationship. He's 28. I raised him on my own for several years until I met his stepmother. He's married, working full time and going to school to get his degree in Computer Science. He's working on getting his Microsoft Certification and has his own computer repair business. Needless to say, he's pretty busy but still finds time to hang out with dad.

My daughter is 24, now she's my problem child. No, she's not a basket case, so to speak, but she has her own ideas of how to live life and that doesn't include being a part of the family. I raised her as well on my own for several years. She has decided to stick with the ex-wife in hopes of being included in the will one day... she hasn't quite figured out that she isn't blood ( ex is not her birth mother) (That's a story I'll get into another time... it's a long one! lol) Anyway, she lives with her boyfriend's family about a 100 miles from the home base. I talk to her when I call her. She calls me when she needs money or has a problem. She hasn't figured out that it's better to keep in contact just in case something comes up. I've rescued her a few times and now instead of giving her money, I give her gift cards to Safeway so that she has to buy food... supposedly, she is clean and sober but whenever I see her, she's skinny, shaking and can't sit still... having been through all of that myself 25 years ago, I can tell when things are "normal" but I can't fix her so I give her love, I tell her that she has a home here if she needs to get away from where she is and then I let her do her thing... and hope that she comes out the other side alive....

Then I have the King of the family. He's my 18 yr old. I call him my politician because that kid can work a room like no other kid I've ever met. He is polite, inviting, a conversationalist. He communicates with adults as well as peers. He played competitive soccer for many years. He's active in social sports, doesn't party, goes to Gonzaga University and is doing very well in his first year there. He also knows how to work the "System of Mom" he knows how to get what he wants from his mother! I'm not into spoiling my kids but I do what I can to help make life better for them. Their mother comes from old money/trust baby so she has never had to work a day in her life and has never had to struggle to make ends meet. The King, knows how to do the right things and say the right things to get what he wants. From me, he gets love, a dad to talk to and a father that will tell him what's right and wrong. I think he's going to be a well rounded individual as he grows up.

My youngest son is 12. He reminds me, of me.... he's a rebel, he plays football, he chases chicks. He loves school for it's social climate, not the learning climate. He's 5'9" tall, he's 160 pounds of muscle so he's lean and mean... (I was tall but not as heavy as he is) He loves the attention he gets from playing football. He hasn't quite figured out that when you play football, you represent your team on and off the field. He's trying to learn humility but he's still young and learning... He wants to be like his 18 year old brother but he doesn't have the charm that his brother has so he uses his bronze instead.. He too is very respectful and practices manners but he's like a bull in a china shop sometimes and needs to be reminded that with size come responsibilities. All and all, he may not be University Material, but if he keeps playing football the way he is, he could go far...

We had a great time talking, laughing, playing Guitar Band, (I played the drums) visiting and sharing stories with the other guests that came. I cooked 2 turkeys and all the fixings. Others brought their favorite foods and we stuffed ourselves.

I'm thankful for my family and all of my close friends that came and spent the day with us. I'm also thankful for those that couldn't make it.

I hope everyone had a nice time with family and friends!

2 comments:

said...

Sounds like a lovely day! I love how you described your children. Your 12 year old sounds like my bf's teen son. He's so big but in his head, he's still a small child!

Glad you had some good family time.

KC's point of view said...

Hi T,
Hope things are working out for you on the Blog stuff.
It was a great weekend, I think I'm having Post Kids Syndrome right now.

I miss them already!
Thanks for stopping by and saying hello, I appreciate it,
KC